Office of Administrative Counsel & Rules
Rulemakings in Progress
The rulemakings described below are in progress. See Completed Rulemakings for rulemakings that have been finished.
Medical Marijuana Rulemaking
On July 29, 2013, the Arizona Superior Court issued an order directing the Department to establish by rule:
- A process by which the Department may consider the reasons why a dispensary has not obtained an approval to operate within a year after being allocated a dispensary registration certificate; and
- Criteria by which to decide whether a dispensary registration certificate should be renewed, despite the dispensary not receiving an approval to operate.
After receiving an exception from the Governor's rulemaking moratorium, established by Executive Order 2012-03, the Department is amending the Medical Marijuana rules in 9 A.A.C. 17 to comply with the court order and to make other changes that may reduce the regulatory burden, improve processes, or enhance clarity and consistency. These include:
- Adding categories of qualifying patients who are eligible for reduced fees;
- Amending requirements for certifying physicians;
- Amending allocation procedures for dispensary registration certificates;
- Amending application requirements for dispensaries; and
- Clarifying requirements for inventory control, dispensing and transporting medical marijuana, and accepting donated marijuana.
- October 2014 Draft Rules | Online Survey (closed 11/03/14)
- Notice of Public Information 20 A.A.R. 2573
- June 2014 Draft Rules | Online Survey (closed 07/07/2014)
- February 2014 Draft Rules | Online Survey (closed 03/07/2014)
- Notice of Rulemaking Docket Opening 20 A.A.R. 286
Stakeholder Meeting Notes
Note: Information provided in PDF files.
***This webpage and the material contained herein are provided as a public service for informational purposes only. It should not be considered legal advice or opinion; and, unless expressly noted, does not reflect official ADHS policy.