Arizona Cancer Registry
The Arizona Cancer Registry (ACR) is involved with research studies in Arizona. The studies have been approved by the ADHS Human Subjects Review Committee. The registry is currently providing data, subject recruitment and technical assistance to these research groups. A summary of each study is provided below.
- Importance of Accurately Reporting the Patient's Race in Cancer Registration. Example with Asian races.
- Public Health Evaluation of Indoor Air Quality, Self-Reported Illnesses, and Tumors Corona del Sol High School, Tempe, Arizona
- Case-Referent Study of Childhood Leukemia in Maricopa County, Arizona, 1965-1990. Summary, 32 pages. October 1997. "The Maryvale Leukemia Study"
NPCR Data Completeness and Quality Audit of the Arizona Cancer Registry
- Data Completeness and Quality Audits: Arizona Cancer Registry
This technical report details the results of the case completeness and data quality audit that was conducted by the National Program of Cancer Registries on the ACR in February, 2009. The audit estimated the ACR’s case completeness rate to be 95.6%, above the national standard of 95%. The data accuracy rate was 95.3%.
The report also identifies and describes potential casefinding and coding problem areas that may provide valuable reference points for anyone looking to perform data quality reviews.
Sierra Vista Childhood Leukemia Studies
- Biosampling Case Children with Leukemia (Acute Lymphocytic and Acute Myelocytic Leukemia) and a Reference Population in Sierra Vista, Arizona. November 30, 2006.
At the request of the Cochise County Health Department, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) conducted biosampling of local residents to determine whether there is evidence of current exposures to environmental factors that might be of concern now. Some case children and their families and comparison families participated in the sampling. The measured values also were compared to the recent National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Note particularly the intriguing finding about the SUOX gene.
- Sierra Vista Child Leukemia Assessment: 2006 Update. December 1, 2006
In 2001, residents of Sierra Vista reported an elevated number of child leukemia cases. In response, the Arizona Cancer Registry (ACR) accelerated the ascertainment of cases from that area. The ADHS report contains the ACR analysis of the count and incidence rate of cases from that southeast Arizona town.
Note: Information provided in PDF files.