Office of Oral Health
Arizona Flouride Varnish Program
Start Early Protecting Your Child's Smile!
- Tooth decay remains one of the most common chronic diseases of childhood especially for Arizona children.
- Many Arizona children start school with tooth decay, a disease that is largely preventable.
- Tooth decay in children's teeth can be painful and prevent children from chewing, speaking, sleeping and learning.
Photo courtesy of Indian Health Service.
Fluoride Varnish is...
- A protective topical fluoride that is painted on all parts of the teeth.
- Safe and can be used from the time babies have their first tooth.
- Prevents new cavities and can help stop cavities that have just started.
- Should be applied on the teeth at least two times a year to keep teeth healthy.
The Arizona Fluoride Varnish Program
- The Arizona Fluoride Varnish Program is an oral health prevention program for children 0 to 5 years of age.
- A dental provider will look at your child's teeth and apply fluoride varnish as needed.
- All services are provided free to children 0 to 5 years of age.
Fluoride Varnish Resources
- Arizona Fluoride Varnish Program Parent Letter
- Fluoride Varnish: A Resource Guide
- National Maternal Child Oral Health Resource Center