Due to scheduled maintenance, some ADHS online services may be unavailable Thursday, 12/19 for a short period of time between 6pm and 10pm. Please note that Medical Marijuana-related online services will not be affected. Thank you for your patience.
Office of Oral Health
About the Office
The Office of Oral Health mission is to promote oral health for the well-being of all Arizona residents. In doing so, we coordinate a number of initiatives and administer five main programs:
- Arizona Dental Sealant Program
- Fluoride Mouthrinse Program
- Dental Trailer Loan Program
- Community Oral Health Systems Development Program
- Healthy Teeth, Healthy Families (Early Childhood Caries prevention program)
The three primary areas of focus within the Office of Oral Health include:
Include training of health professionals and oral health programs for children. Specifically, we:
- Provides training of health professionals in the prevention, control and treatment of oral diseases affecting infants, toddlers and pregnant women.
- Promotes the use of dental sealants by public and private dental care systems to prevent tooth decay. The Office administers the Arizona Dental Sealant Program, a school based program providing sealants to underserved 2nd and 6th grade children.
- Promotes the use of weekly fluoride mouthrinses for at-risk children to prevent tooth decay.
Initiatives focus on promoting oral health at the state and community levels. Specifically, we:
- Promotes optimal fluoridation of community water supplies for the prevention of tooth decay.
- Assists communities in assessing their oral health needs and resources.
- Provides assistance to communities to increase access to oral health services through development of dental clinics and other dental care systems.
- Provides consultation and technical assistance to administrators, government agencies, non-profit organizations and other professional groups to facilitate the delivery of quality oral health services.
Research and Analysis
The team collects, analyzes and distributes Arizona oral health data. Specifically, we:
- Conducts assessments of selected communities to evaluate oral health status and treatment needs for use in program planning and policy making.
- Monitors dental workforce issues across the state.
- Assists in Dental Health Professional Shortage Area designations.
- Tracks information of Office of Oral Health Programs to improve effectiveness.