Alert here

A Woman's Right to Know

Child-Support Services

Print This Pageprint

Assistance in Obtaining Child Support

The father of a child is liable to assist in support of that child, even if the father has offered to pay for an abortion.

Established in 1975 as Title IV-D of the Social Security Act, the Child Support Enforcement program is a federal/state/local program that collects child support from parents who are legally obligated to pay. The goals are threefold:

  • To ensure that children are supported by their parents,
  • To foster family responsibility, and
  • To reduce the costs of welfare to the taxpayer.

The Child Support Enforcement program works with the DES food stamps, cash assistance, vocational rehabilitation, jobs and child care programs to ensure that both the custodial and non-custodial parents have the support they need in order to take steps toward their wellbeing and self-sufficiency and that of their families.


Any person with custody of a child who needs assistance in establishing paternity or child support or a parent who needs help enforcing a child support order, is eligible for services. This person may be a custodial parent, a caretaker with physical custody of a child(ren), an alleged father wanting to establish paternity, or a non-custodial parent wanting to establish or enforce a child support order. If they are receiving public assistance from Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), or Medicaid, or federally assisted Foster Care, they are automatically referred to the Division of Child Support Enforcement (DCSE) for services.

Applying For Services

Individuals receiving cash assistance benefits are automatically referred for child support enforcement services. All other individuals must apply through the Child Support Enforcement (CSE). There are several ways to obtain an application: call our Interactive Voice System (IVR) at (602) 252-4045 (Maricopa County) or Toll Free at 1 (800) 882-4151 to request an application which will be sent by mail; walk into the office nearest to pick up the forms; or download the "Request for Title IV-D Child Support Services" and mail it in. Custodial parents will need to provide as much information and as many documents as they can about the non-custodial parent.


There is no fee to apply for child support services. Once your case is opened, some fees may apply.

More Information

Both custodial and non-custodial parents can get detailed information about their case, including payments due or made, etc., on our telephone Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system. To use this system, both custodial and non-custodial parents will be asked for their ATLAS (Arizona Tracking and Locate Automated System) number. This number is on every page of mail that the program sends to the custodial and non-custodial parent, usually next to their name and address. The IVR system is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at (602) 252-4045 in Maricopa County and Toll Free at 1 (800) 882-4151.