Due to Web Portal Maintenance at ADOA,our credit card payment sevice will be offline for approximately 2 hours starting at 8:00 PM today(11/24/2015).

Arizona Healthy Aging (A-HA)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Many people searching the internet type in key words that provide a variety of links to information.  The Healthy Aging Initiative receives frequent calls and email with questions about help for older adults.  The following are common questions and answers related to older Arizonans.

  • Show All
  • Hide All
  • Print All
Click on the question to view the answer.

Q-1:My parents/relatives are living in Arizona and I have concerns about their welfare. Who do I contact for help and information?

A key resource for information, support and referral is the local Area Agency on Aging (AAA). Area Agency on Aging advocates, plans, coordinates, develops and delivers services to older adults (60 years and older), persons of any age who are HIV positive, adults (18-59 years) with disabilities and long-term care needs, and family caregivers of older adults. For contact information on any of the 8 Regional AAA's in Arizona call (602) 264-2255.

Q-2: I have questions about the costs of health care coverage. Where can I get information?

The Arizona State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) is a free health-benefits counseling service for Medicare beneficiaries and their families or caregivers. SHIP is an independent program funded by federal agencies and is not affiliated with the insurance industry. For more information call 602-542-4446 in Phoenix or the Statewide Hotline 1-800-432-4040.

Q-3: I have concerns about possible neglect or an unsafe situation for an older adult I care about.  Where can I get help and information?

Adult Protective Services (APS) exists to receive and investigate incidents of abuse, neglect, or exploitation of incapacitated or vulnerable adults, and to offer appropriate services in accordance with individual need and acceptance. The Central Intake Unit hosts a 24-hour, toll-free hotline for statewide reports of adult abuse, neglect, and exploitation.

  • 1-877-SOS-ADULT (1-877-767-2385)
  • TDD: 1-877-815-8390

Q-4: I am looking for information on a Skilled or Assisted Living facility.  Where can I search for information?

A-4: The ADHS Division of Licensing Services licenses and monitors health facilities and providers throughout Arizona.  Licensing inspections, on-site surveys, and complaint investigations are conducted to promote quality care and safety and ensure that performance standards are met for facility operation and maintenance. Go to Facility Search.

Q-5: I believe I was scammed by a telemarketing con artist and I lost money. What can I do?

Predators are always looking for new and inventive ways to steal. If you believe you have been a victim of consumer exploitation and/or fraud, you should first contact the company in writing and specifically request the relief that you feel is appropriate. You may also file a complaint with the Attorney General's Office or call (602) 542-5763 (Phoenix), (520) 628-6504 (Tucson), or toll-free outside of metro Phoenix please call (800) 352-8431.