Bureau of Public Health Emergency Preparedness
Crisis Standards of Care (CSC) Project
"Developing a Comprehensive and Compassionate Response"
The Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS) Bureau of Public Health Emergency Preparedness (BPHEP) conducted a workshop on January 24, 2013 to initiate Crisis Standards of Care (CSC) plan development for the State of Arizona.
The Arizona CSC plan development project is a 12-month initiative that will involve input from a wide variety of partners including health care facilities, emergency management, legal and ethical experts, emergency medical services, public safety and many more. The purpose of this collaborative effort is to improve preparedness for all Arizonans by establishing clear and concise protocols to follow in the event of a catastrophic emergency. This planning initiative will be guided by an interdisciplinary group of experts throughout the State, as well as federal guidance from the Institute of Medicine (IOM).
Planning efforts will be guided by the following five elements:
- Strong ethical grounding
- Integrated and ongoing community and provider engagement
- Necessary legal authority and environment
- Clear triggers, indicators, and lines of responsibilities
- Evidence based clinical processes and operations
This topic is challenging by nature, but through collaboration and consensus building with stakeholders and the general public, we can develop a fair and equitable system for delivering care during the most serious disasters and public health emergencies.
|January 24, 2013||Initial Planning Workshop|
|June 27, 2013||Mid Planning Workshop|
|July 17, 2013|
|October 10, 2013||Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Workgroup|
|October 11, 2013||Clinical Workgroup|
|November, 2013 - January, 2014|
|December 4, 2013||Legal/Ethical Workgroup|
|January-March, 2014||Online Public Comment and Engagement Survey|
|February 26, 2014||Final Planning Workshop|
|April, 2014||Draft Plan Development|
Legal and Ethical Review
|Summer, 2014||Tabletop Exercise (TTX)|
- Communities of Interest (COI) for Crisis Standards of Care and the Allocation of Scarce Resources
- Event Poster 1 – Crisis Standards of Care Foundation
- Event Poster 2 – Crisis Standards of Care Support Continuum
Note: Event Poster 2 Acronym Key [EM: Emergency Management, EOC: Emergency Operations Center/s, PH: Public Health, HEOC: Health Emergency Operations Center, SDMAC: Statewide Disaster Medical Advisory Committee]
- Institute of Medicine Report - Crisis Standards of Care: A Systems Framework for Catastrophic Disaster Response
- Public Health Emergency Ethics - ASU Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law