The Arizona Department of Health Services recognizes breastfeeding as the ideal nutrition for infants and the best practice is to breastfeed your baby for at least one year. The benefits of breastfeeding your child include:
- Developing a unique mother-child bond
- Protecting your baby from illness
- Providing the perfect food for your baby
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) guidance to providing breastfeeding promotion and support includes evidence-based activities within:
- Support for breastfeeding in the workplace
- Maternity care practices
- Peer support
- Educating mothers
- Professional support, and
The ADHS Breastfeeding Program follows the Breastfeeding Strategic Plan that directs program efforts.
If you have any questions about breastfeeding, please call our 24-hour breastfeeding hotline: 1-800-833-4642.