Office of Newborn Screening
Stay informed about newborn screening and AZEHDI and join our eCommunication list. To add yourself to this list please do the following:
- Visit the ADHS Communications sign up page
- Enter your email address and click "Continue"
- Click the box next to "Office of Newborn Screening" and/or AZEHDI:Early Hearing Detection and Intervention
- Feel free to choose additional topics you would like to receive info on from ADHS
Effective 12/15/14: The NBS lab mailer is changing! Please note NEW reference ranges as well as changes on primary and secondary markers for several disorders screened by tandem mass spectrometry.
Newborn Screening and Genetics
- Baby's First Test
Baby's First Test houses the nation's newborn screening clearinghouse. The clearinghouse provides current educational and family support and services information, materials, and resources about newborn screening at the local, state, and national levels and serves as the Clearinghouse for newborn screening information. This resource is dedicated to educating parents, family members, health professionals, industry representatives, and other members of the public about the newborn screening system. This site also provides many ways for people to connect and share their viewpoints and questions about the newborn screening system.
- Newborn Screening Technical Assistance and Evaluation Program (NewSTEPs)
A program funded through a cooperative agreement to the Association of Public Health Laboratories (APHL) by the Genetic Services Branch of the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), provides quality improvement initiatives, an innovative data repository and technical resources for newborn screening programs.
- American College of Medical Geneticists (ACMG)
The professional organization for biochemical, clinical, cytogenetic, medical and molecular geneticists, genetic counselors and other health care professionals committed to the practice of medical genetics. ACMG provides education, resources and a voice for the medical genetics profession:
- ACT sheets and confirmatory algorithms for professionals from ACMG describe disorders and actions to be taken after an abnormal newborn screening result.
- Genetics Home Reference
A website offering a guide to understanding genetic conditions from the U.S. National Library of Medicine within NIH, HHS.
- March of Dimes (MOD)
A non-profit organization advocating pregnancy and baby health (preventing birth defects, premature birth and infant mortality) and universal newborn screening.
- National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities
Infant topics discuss newborn screening and EHDI, sickle cell disease and thalassemia and Gene Tests, a publicly funded medical genetics information resource hosted at the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI)
- Human Genetics and Medical Research
An on-line exhibit for families from the Museum of Medical Research
A quick guide to healthy living provided by the US Department of Health & Human Services with information for parents about newborn screening, including a toll-free number to call to get services if you don't have insurance.
- AAP Committee on Genetics
The American Academy of Pediatrics committee makes recommendations on genetic advances and makes recommendations to state chapters.
- CDC: Pediatric Genetics
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention includes key findings and ways to incorporate family history into your practice.
CDC Feature on Newborn Screening – Read a mother's story and learn about why newborn screening is so important.
- Secretary's Advisory Committee on Heritable Disorders in Newborns and Children
This committee advises the Secretary, U.S. Department of health and Human Services on the most appropriate application of newborn screening technology, policy, standards and more.
- Newborn Screening Translational Research Network
The NBSTRN is a resource for technology development within newborn screening and is funded from the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- Save Babies Through Screening Foundation
This non-profit organization is dedicated to advocacy and seeks to create national newborn screening standards.