Office of Newborn Screening
- World Sickle Cell Day is celebrated on June 19th of each year, is recognized globally and was created by the United Nations by resolution. Visit the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) to learn more.
- Take action by following The American College of Medical Genetics Newborn Screening Sickle Cell Anemia ACT Sheet and Algorithm
The success of the Newborn Screening program depends on the coordinated efforts of many health professionals. Medical Home and/or other Healthcare Professionals are generally responsible for: ordering the screening tests for newborn infants in their care, informing parents about the screening tests, and collection and handling of newborn screening specimens. Practitioners, and/or their contracted laboratories, may collect and send specimens for testing. Practitioners, hospitals and laboratories work together to coordinate timely collection and rapid delivery of acceptable newborn screening specimens to the Arizona Public Health Laboratory (State Lab).
Newborn Screening is a system comprised of six component parts including education at the center. Education exists in each of the three screening activities (pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical) and should be measurable and achievable. The Arizona plan exists to meet the needs of public health professionals, health care providers, consumers, and policy makers, is dynamic and flexible.
- Arizona Newborn Screening Provider Guidelines
- Education Plan
- Ordering Supplies - Testing, Screening, Brochures, and Fact Sheets
- Testing & Specimen Collection
- Hearing Screener's Meeting, March 2014
- Hearing Screeners Meeting, November 2012
- Overview of CDC Data
- CDC Milestones 1-3-6
- Overview of New Scorecard
- HiTrack: Partnering with ADHS Newborn Follow-up to Improve EHDI Outcomes
- Early Hearing Detection and Intervention (EHDI) Updates
- High Risk Coordinator Update
- Newborn Hearing Screening Training Curriculum: Hot Topics
- Meeting Evaluation Form
Note: Files are PDF format unless otherwise stated.