Office of Newborn Screening
- Effective 12/15/14: The NBS lab mailer is changing! Please note NEW reference ranges as well as changes on primary and secondary markers for several disorders screened by tandem mass spectrometry.
- IMPORTANT NOTICE regarding Newborn Screening bloodspot specimen cards.
- The first edition of the Newborn Screening Newsletter is published! Featuring AZEHDI and more!
The Office of Newborn Screening, a division of Public Health Preparedness within the Department of Health Services is charged with the responsibility of ensuring that the testing for congenital disorders and the reporting of hearing test results are conducted in an effective and efficient manner. The program provides education to the general public, the medical community, parents and professional groups. The state laboratory is the only testing facility for the program. Learn more by reading ARS § 36-694.
March is Emergency Preparedness Month
What constitutes an Emergency? How can you plan for the unexpected? For families of newborns/infants with genetic or metabolic conditions, even a small unplanned event can be disastrous! Learn how other families Get Ready by visiting these websites and clicking on the links below.
- Caring for Children in a Disaster
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and American Red Cross Answers to common questions and step-by-step guidance you can take now to protect you and your loved ones.
- Just in Case Arizona Work with your family to plan for emergencies.
- Ready.gov Learn about common natural hazards in Arizona, and how to prepare for them.
- Baby's First Test: Looking to the Future Helpful information about the medical home, transition. and emergency preparedness for families of children living with conditions.
- Arizona Hospital and Healthcare Association: Disaster Preparedness Learn how Arizona's hospitals and clinicians plan and practice for disasters.
- Preparedness Checklist for Pediatric Practices from the American Academy of Pediatrics
- Emergency Preparedness Resources and Helpful Hints Flyer [Español]
- Bureau of Public Health Emergency Preparedness Arizona phone numbers, just in case