Due to scheduled maintenance by the Arizona Department of Administration to the state datacenter, azdhs.gov and related services will be unavailable from 10:00 p.m. Friday, November 15, until 10:00 a.m. Saturday, November 16. Thank you for your patience.
Arizona J-1 Visa Waiver Program
The FY 2014 second application cycle for the Arizona J1 Visa Waiver Program will open on December 9, 2013 through January 31, 2014. J1 physicians who wish to be considered for a J1 Visa waiver by ADHS must submit a complete application packet postmarked prior to or by the due date specified.
The goal of the Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS) J-1 Visa Waiver Program is to improve the accessibility of health care services in underserved areas by providing a J-1 visa waiver recommendations on behalf of foreign medical graduates who have obtained a J-1 visa waiver for graduate medical studies in the United States ("J-1 physicians"). J-1 visa waivers allow foreign physicians to practice in medically-underserved communities without returning to their home residence, thus, allowing them to receive nonimmigrant, H 1B status (temporary worker in specialty occupation) for three years.
Applicants must receive a letter of support from the Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS) to be reviewed by the U.S. Department of State (DOS) before the United States Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) grants a waiver of the requirement that a J-1 physician must return to the physician's home country for two years upon completion of graduate medical studies.
Click on the questions below to find what you are looking for:
- Am I eligible?
- Is my potential employer or service site eligible?
- How many slots are available to be filled?
- Are hospitalists eligible to apply?
- How can I apply?
- When can I apply?
- Where can I find employers that sponsor J-1 physicians?
- How long does the ADHS application review process takes?
- How do I know if ADHS grants a letter of support on my behalf?
- How long does the USCIS waiver approval takes?
- What if there are more applications than slots available?
- What if not all slots for the current cycle are filled?
- Am I guaranteed a slot if I submit my application early?
- What is the next step after I received a J-1 waiver?
- What requirements do I need to meet while serving my J-1 waiver obligation?
- What if I want to transfer to a different service site after USCIS granted a J-1 waiver for my services at the original employment site?
- What if I want to add a service site to the original ADHS approved site?
- How can I request a letter of completion for my J-1 service obligation?