Division of Behavioral Health Services

Accessing BHS Consults

Behavioral Health consults are available to primary care physicians through the children's public behavioral health system.

General Behavioral Health Consultations

  • Behavioral health medical practitioners (BHMPs) are available to the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS) Health Plan Primary Care Physicians (PCPs) to answer diagnostic and treatment questions of a general nature
  • General psychiatric consultations are not person specific and are usually conducted over the telephone between the PCP and the BHMP

Face-Face Consultations

  • BHMPs are available to conduct a face-to-face evaluation with a Title XIX/XXI eligible person upon his/her PCP's request in a timeframe which is in accordance with ADHS/DBHS policy.
  • The PCP must have seen the person prior to requesting a one-time face-to-face psychiatric evaluation with the BHMP
  • A one-time face-to-face evaluation is used to answer PCPs specific questions and provide clarification and evaluation regarding:
    • A person's diagnosis;
    • Recommendations for treatment;
    • Need for behavioral health care; and/or
    • Ongoing behavioral health care or medication management provided by the PCP.

How to Access Behavioral Health Consultations for Title XIX/XXI Enrolled Youth in Your Region

  • Apache, Coconino, Mohave, Navajo, and Yavapai Counties - Please contact the responsible agency (RA) and ask to speak to the medical director or the medical practitioner on call. You can also call Northern Arizona Regional Behavioral Health Authority (NARBHA) Member Representatives 1-928-774-7128 or 1-800-640-2123 to identify the appropriate RA.
  • Yuma, La Paz, Pinal, Graham, Greenlee, Cochise, Gila, and Santa Cruz Counties - Please contact the Cenpatico Customer Care Department at 866-495-6738
  • Pima County - Please contact the Community Partnership of Southern Arizona (CPSA) Member Services at 1-800-771-9889
  • Maricopa County - Please call 1-800-564-5465 for general psychiatric consults. In order to request a one-time face-to-face psychiatric consultation, please complete PM Form 3.3.1PDF and fax it to 1-866-892-5023

If you have any additional questions regarding these available resources, please contact the T/RBHA Acute Health Plan and Provider CoordinatorPDF for your Region.