Due to technical difficulties, all Medical Marijuana online applications will be unavailable until 8AM, Tuesday, March 11th. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
Arizona Diabetes Program
Diabetes means that blood glucose (blood sugar) is too high. There are two main types of diabetes:
Type 1 Diabetes – the body does not make insulin. Insulin helps the body use glucose from food for energy. People with type 1 need to take insulin every day.
Type 2 Diabetes – the body does not make or use insulin well. People with type 2 often need to take pills or insulin. Type 2 is the most common form of diabetes.
Gestational Diabetes – may occur when a woman is pregnant. Gestational diabetes raises her risk of getting another type of diabetes, mostly type 2, for the rest of her life. It also raises her child's risk of being overweight and getting diabetes.
Diabetes is serious and must be carefully managed. All people with diabetes need to make healthy food choices, stay at a healthy weight and be physically active every day./p>
- heart disease and stroke
- eye problems that can lead to trouble seeing or going blind
- nerve damage that can cause the hands and feet to feel numb; some people may even lose a foot or a leg
- kidney problems that can cause the kidneys to stop working
- gum disease and loss of teeth
Normal blood glucose (blood sugar) means a person will:
- have more energy
- be less tired and thirsty and urinate less often
- heal better and have fewer skin or bladder infections
- have fewer problems with eyesight, feet, and gums